Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Am I a Runner?

Am I a Runner? What is the definition of a Runner? What is your definition of a Runner?

I have always considered myself an athlete. I enjoyed running in middle school track. I started lifting weights in middle school as well. Once I got into high school my perspective on running changed. I ran only when it was necessary. I ran in high school because football required that you run for endurance and speed and your overall physical fitness. After high school, I no longer ran. I had no need to run. I did what normal college kids did - go to class, study, party and work (maybe not in that exact order). I continued to lift weights to achieve strength goals I set for myself. It is what I enjoyed. I could do it on my own. I could set my own goals. I could work toward those goals without relying on anyone else.

All that changed in November of 2008. I watched a documentary on David Goggins. I immediately became fascinated with the concept of Ultra Running. A sport about setting your own goals and obtaining those goals relying on no one but yourself. I never thought of running in this way. I began to research Ultra Running.

On January 5, 2009, I decided I would become not just a Runner, but an Ultra Runner. I will one day complete a 100 Mile Race. This is my goal.

2009 Achievements:
Oct. 18, 2009 - 1st Marathon
Dec. 12, 2009 - 1st 50k

Am I a Runner? I am a Runner. Running is now an important part of my life. Running is part of who I am. Each week I need to set running goals and achieve those goals to feel successful. I love running. I will always be a runner.