Monday, May 24, 2010

Run Happy

I don't think I truly got the Brooks Running tag "Run Happy" until yesterday during my 12 mile run in the sun and heat. Being my last run of the week, and just coming off my Saturday trail run, I was definitely not at 100% and was just out to "get the miles in". I started my run with the thought in mind that I would just run an easy pace to get used to running in warmer/hot temps. After about 3 miles, I glanced at my watch to check my pace to see what an easy pace was looking like in terms of time as compared to my first mile. I wasn't doing too bad, but noticed my pace had dropped a bit. When I got to mile 5, my pace was dropping considerably. Mile 1 was around an 8:20 pace, mile 5 around a 8:40 pace. I reached mile 6 and turned around to head back. During my sixth mile, I thought about things I have read and quotes I have heard about runners who embrace the mid-run adversities both physically and mentally. I came to the conclusion that you can either 1. Fight the adversities and try to overcome them with sheer determination until you finish the run, or 2. Embrace the adversities and enjoy the moment. I chose to embrace and enjoy. My attitude totally changed as I ran the sixth mile. I thought about how many people would love to be able to do what I am doing at that very moment in the hot sun with seemingly little effort. I smiled and embraced the heat. The more I ran, the more I smiled. I was no longer grimacing trying to beat the heat and finish the run, I was smiling, enjoying the heat and the moment. Around mile 8 I checked my watch and my pace had dramatically improved. I was now running 8:10 miles. Coincidence? I'm not sure. But I ended up having an awesome run and you can't beat that feeling!

I think I finally get Brooks Running tag line now: "Run Happy"

4 comments:

  1. Great job once again, Brian! Really enjoy watching your videos..You have made some great achievements, and should definitely feel proud of yourself. Very few people could do what you do, and continue to do. Isn't it great to "Run Happy"?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Brian! Running happy definitely makes a difference - I've noticed also that it's easier to do on trails than roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job. Brian! Love how an attitude change makes all the difference in the world. Can't wait to hit some trails myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, thats great. I heard some quote that said something like "accept adversity and things will go much easier for you." Things do seem to lighten once you accept where you are at that moment versus fighting against it. Good post!

    ReplyDelete